Vermont College Records, 1883, 1910-2001 (5 Boxes)
©2010 Norwich University Archives
About Vermont College
Vermont College began as Newbury Seminary in 1832. After the Civil War, the school moved from from Newbury to Montpelier, Vermont, and its name changed to Montpelier Seminary. On March 7, 1936, it was decided by the board that the school should become a junior college and the name changed to Vermont Junior College. The name was changed yet again to Vermont College in the 1950s. Norwich University merged with Vermont College in the spring of 1972. The two remained merged until Vermont College officially became part of Union Institute on September 30, 2001. As of 2008, Vermont College of Fine Arts became an independent institution located on the campus in Montpelier.
About the Collection
This collection represents materials that were found (in 2003) and artificially assembled under the name of Vermont College. Materials include reports, faculty publications and records of the Vermont College board of trustees. The collection also includes student academic records from Montpelier Seminary, 1910-1945. A content listing of materials within the collection can be found below.
During the period, 1972 to 2001, when Vermont College was a part of Norwich University, records created and compiled by Norwich administrative offices also document the operation of Vermont College. Most of the Vermont College records created and compiled in this period can be found in their appropriate administrative record group or series throughout the archival collections of the Norwich University Archives (see the Related Materials section for specific collections).
The following subjects are represented in this collection. If you are researching these topics, try using these terms in the library catalog:
- Norwich University. — Vermont College.
- Vermont Junior College.
- Montpelier Seminary (Montpelier, Vt.).
- College students’ writings, American — Vermont.
More About the Collection…