©2012 Norwich University Archives
About the 7th Squadron, Rhode Island Volunteers (“The College Cavaliers”)
From pp. 386-387 of Edwin W. Stone’s Rhode Island in the Rebellion (Providence: George H. Whitney, 1865): “This body of 165 men was raised for three months service, and sent into the field 28th of June, 1862. It was composed of a company recruited from Dartmouth College and Norwich University, and one company enlisted in Providence. Its services were rendered chiefly in the vicinity of Winchester and Harper’s Ferry, in reconnoitering and doing scout duty. It was part of the cavalry force which cut its way out of Harper’s Ferry, during the investment of that place by the rebels. It was present on the field of Antietam, ready to go into action should occasion offer for employing its services. During the campaign it lost thirty men taken prisoners. It returned to Providence on the 28th September, and was mustered out of the service. The services performed were creditable to the Squadron and to the State.”
About the Collection
The collection consists of photocopies of research sources pertaining to the 7th Squadron, Rhode Island Cavalry, gathered from many repositories by Robert G. Grandchamp. A complete content listing of files can be found below.
The collection is open.
Many items in the University Archives are one-of-a-kind resources that are not likely to be available anywhere but here. For this reason, forming citations for archival sources is a little different than for books and periodicals. If you need to cite anything from this collection, follow the format below:
Identification of specific item; Date (if known); 7th Squadron Rhode Island Cavalry Collection, Box and/or Folder and/or Item Identification; Norwich University Archives, Kreitzberg Library, Northfield, VT.
Here’s an example from the collection:
Photograph of Augustus W. Corliss in 1861. 7th Squadron Rhode Island Cavalry Collection, Individuals, C file, Norwich University Archives, Kreitzberg Library, Northfield, VT.
Size: 1 Box (1 linear f00t)
Collection Location: Archives 501
Language(s) of Material: English
- Barney, Valentin G., 9th Regiment Vermont Volunteer Infantry
- Burial locations
- Correspondence of Robert G. Grandchamp
- Dartmouth College
- General information
- Harper’s Ferry
- Alvord, Ambrose, Angell and Arms (1 file)
- Bailey, Blaisdell, Blodgett, Bodwell, Brown, Burnap, Burr and Bush (1 file)
- Caldwell, Cameron, Chapman, Clay, Clement, Cobb, Coombs, Corliss (1 file)
- Davis and Dewey (1 file)
- Elliott, Everett, Ewins, Fitts, Flagg, Foster, Fuller, Gage, Garey, Gilman, Goodelle, Goulding, Graham, Graves, Greene (1 file)
- Hardy, Hazelton, Heysinger, Hoyt, Hutchins, Johnson, Kellogg, King, Manson and Morey (1 file)
- Nichols, Noyes, Nutter, Papanti, Parker, Perkins, Perrin, Pettingill, Phelps, Phillips, Poland and Potts (1 file)
- Roberts, Slayton, Smith, Stearns, Stevens and Tillinghast (1 file)
- Vaughan, Walcott, Walker and Williamson (1 file)
- Newspaper clippings
- Norwich University
- Records, official
- Rhode Island Cavalry
Norwich University Archives Kreitzberg Library 158 Harmon Drive Northfield, VT 05663 USA Phone: 802-485-2947 Fax: 802-485-2173 email@example.com http://library2.norwich.edu/catablog/