©2010 Norwich University Archives
Charles Plumley was born in Northfield, VT. He was educated at Northfield High School and entered Norwich University in 1892. He graduated with the class of 1896 with a B.A. degree. Plumley served as principal of Northfield High School from 1896 to 1900. He resigned to study law and was admitted to the Vermont bar in 1903. Charles Plumley practiced law with his father, Frank Plumley, for twenty years. He served the State of Vermont in many different capacities from 1894 to 1919. After serving as president of Norwich University from 1920 to 1934, Charles Plumley was elected Vermont’s Representative to Congress and served in that capacity until 1951. He married Emilie Adele Stevens (d. 1960) in 1900 and the couple had two sons, Allan R. Plumley and Fletcher Proctor Plumley, both of whom graduated from Norwich, and a daughter, Evelyn Plumley Adams. Allan was a member of the class of 1923 and Fletcher of the class of 1928.
About the Collection
The collection consists of papers created and accrued by Charles Plumley, 1890-1964. Included are papers, legislation, clippings, speeches and writings. There is biographical information on Charles Plumley along with his sons, Allan R. and Fletcher P. Plumley, and his father, Frank Plumley. Frank Plumley’s papers, 1895-1925, are also available in the collection. Photographs of Charles Plumley, his family, Norwich University campus and events, and Armistice Day celebrations in Northfield in 1919 are also included in the collection. The content listing below contains more detailed information on the collection.
Most of the materials within the collection are open for research; however, the privacy of information contained in some records is protected by the Federal Educational Records and Privacy Act or other legislative or regulatory privacy provisions. The following types of records are restricted to protect the privacy rights of individuals about whom the information was collected.
- Student academic records
- Disciplinary and counseling records
- Student financial aid records
- Faculty/Staff personnel files
- Promotion, tenure and grievance files
- Medical case files
- Legal counsel case files
Many items in the University Archives are one-of-a-kind resources that are not likely to be available anywhere but here. For this reason, forming citations for archival sources is a little different than for books and periodicals. If you need to cite anything from this collection, follow the format below:
Identification of specific item; Date (if known); Charles Albert Plumley Papers, Box and/or Folder and/or Item Identification; Norwich University Archives, Kreitzberg Library, Northfield, VT.
Here’s an example from the collection:
Letter from Frank Plumley to Laura M. Averill, 14 January1915. Correspondence and Papers file, 1890-1920, Charles Albert Plumley Papers, Norwich University Archives, Kreitzberg Library, Northfield, VT.
Size: 2 Boxes (1.50 linear feet)
Collection Location: Archives 501
Language(s) of Material: English
- Biographical information
- Correspondence & papers, 1890-1964, including records of the board of trustees and faculty contracts (10 files)
- Degrees (in OSD2.3)
- BA, Norwich, 1896
- LLD, UVM (honorary), 1941
- Legislation pertaining to Norwich University, 1913-1965
- Newspaper clippings and scrapbook, 1922-1962
- Speeches, 1896-1959 (3 files)
- Tennessee Valley Authority, April 1935
- Writings, Alice Adams-Nathan Hale controversy (includes correspondence), 1925-1926
- Writings, George Dewey, 1937-1938
- Writings, Norwich traditions, including Alden Partridge’s female seminary, ca.1953
- Writings, Alden Partridge, ca.1955
- Allan R. Plumley (son of Charles Plumley), class of 1923, biographical
- Fletcher P. Plumley (son of Charles Plumley), biographical
- Frank Plumley, biographical (includes photographs)
- Frank Plumley, papers and correspondence, 1863, 1895-1925
- Frank Plumley, work on Venezuelan commissions, 1903-1905
- Photographs of Charles Plumley, as both a cadet and as president of NU, as a politician, portraits, and family photographs (3 files)
Norwich University Archives Kreitzberg Library 158 Harmon Drive Northfield, VT 05663 USA Phone: 802-485-2947 Fax: 802-485-2173 firstname.lastname@example.org http://library2.norwich.edu/catablog/